Monday, April 21, 2008

Matt Hogan: As seen on The Internet

Here are all my articles that have so far appeared on the web. The good, the bad, and the easily refutable:

From "The Republic of East Vancouver":

A piece about Science and Religion in which I unfortunately refer to economics as a science. Not because I think it is an exact science, but because some people treat it as though it were.

Here's a review of David Cayley's book, where he interviews Ivan Illich, the ex-communicated priest who believed that Western Civilization is fundamentally a perversion of the New Testament.

This article is still, probably, what I consider my best work. It's about how corporations are not, will not, and should not become "ethical" and/or "creative". They're meant to make money, and they should do just that, within reason (that is, regulation).

Here's my plug for Canadian writer Brian Fawcett, and his book Virtual Clearcut: Or, The Way Things Are In My Hometown.

I got the idea for this piece about Democracy and Education while riding the bus to school. See why.

And I got the idea for this article about Remembrance Day while taking a leak in a urinal. Curious?

Here's my most counterintuitive piece yet, in which I argue that apathy is a natural and noble political stance, given the state of today's politics (and activism).

For my college paper, "The Capilano Courier":

Since their website only went back up recently, all I have are these two article from the Spring 2008 term. One is about the NGO Brain Drain (a term I proudly coined), and the other is about my experience with SFU's Undergraduate Semester in Dialogue, about which I'll post a follow-up blog.

However, the University of Manitoba's student paper, The Manitoban, and the University of Lethbridge picked up an article of mine on the College-University Press (CUP) wire, about wartime rhetoric and governmental Orwellian Newspeak.

And for the Simon Fraser University paper, "The Peak":

My first article for a university paper, and it was a diss of student journalism. It elicited this response from someone who felt they needed to come to the defense of the idea of political revolution, which I had discounted as a sensible option in the initial article. So I responded with this article, explaining in more detail my distaste for the romantic and currently appealing, anti-establishment fad of revolution.

Here's a piece comparing John Ralston Saul and Brian Fawcett, two of my favorite (and two of Canada's most important) writers.

This is my rant about students not talking enough in class, and about classroom dynamics in general.

And here's my polemic against the assumption that art is mostly about self-expression.

Well, I think that's it. Please send thoughts, threats and refutations my way.

Your humble servant,
Matthew William Hogan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, stalking you online is so much easier now. Thanks Matt!

Anonymous said...

Isn't there some ancient proverb about the hubris of these sort of self-promoting activities?